Good morning, my friends! The post this week is a little lighter in nature than some recently. I am going to a Sunday afternoon Twins Baseball game so I don’t have as much time to write on or research anything too deep. Instead, the post will talk about one of my favorite things: breakfast food! The post will include my go-to breakfast food and a recipe for a great weekend breakfast. It will also have my workout schedule for the week. So, to kick off the new week on the positive this is The Workout of the Week. This is The Breakfast Food Workout.
I eat a breakfast sandwich almost every day. My go-to is an egg, a sausage patty, topped with some cheese and hot sauce, and some greens, on an English Muffin. Sometimes I will swap out the greens for avocado slices, or bell peppers, or maybe make some breakfast potatoes as a side. Sometimes I will substitute ham or bacon instead of a sausage patty. Most of the time I use a big handful of spinach for the greens. Then I like to top with Sriacha or some other spicy hot sauce.
This type of breakfast sandwich is super easy to make, tastes great, contains a good source of protein, and (in my opinion) is the best way to break a fast for the day.
The Weekend Breakfast: Breakfast Tortillas
On the weekends, I like to spend a little more time on breakfast. My breakfast tortillas are a go-to weekend Breakfast.
Breakfast Tortillas: Ingredients
- Two Eggs
- Breakfast sausage – I use two cubed patties – roughly 1/2 cup of meat
- 1/2 cup of frozen or fresh bell peppers
- 1/4 cup of frozen or fresh diced onion
- 1/4 cup of shredded cheese
- Two large flour tortillas
- Salt and pepper to taste
- hot sauce to taste
- Bonus: Add avocado or greens to this for a couple of great bonus options!
How to Make: Breakfast Tortillas
- Heat a drizzle of oil on medium-high in a frying pan. When the oil is hot, add onions and bell pepper. Add the cubed-up sausage patties. Add a shake of salt and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When the onions are slightly caramelized and bell peppers are soft, add two eggs and let the eggs sit to cook. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- As the eggs cook, I tilt the pan so that some oil collects. Then I scoop some oil over the eggs to cook the top side.
- Add the cheese and cook until melted.
- Remove the eggs and veggies from the pan and set them aside. Leave the heat on and brown up the flour tortillas in the pan.
- Plate the tortillas, then add an egg to each and evenly divide the veggies into each one.
- Top with a hot sauce of your choice. A good salsa also works.
- As a bonus, add a few avocado slices or some greens.
These breakfast tortillas are a great balance of veggies, protein, and taste!
The Workout Schedule
The workout schedule for this week includes spin bike videos, my heavy bag workout, shadow boxing with weighted gloves, yoga, mediation, and (weather permitting), discing, rucking, and mountain bike riding.
On Monday, Wednesday, and Friday I will be doing a spin bike video workout like this one from Global Cycling Network. They have hours and hours of free spin bike workouts on their YouTube channel. These workouts pack a punch and get the metabolism firing! Check out the Global Cycling Network YouTube channel for all their great free content.
RDX Fitness Bag
My heavy bag workout uses my RDX Fitness bag. It’s 25kg or about 55lbs. I posted the workout in a previous post. Here is the link – check it out!
Shadowboxing w/weighted gloves
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday will include shadow boxing with weighted gloves. I do three rounds (or more) of Tabata intervals with my weighted gloves. Tabata = 8: 20×10 intervals. Work hard during the 20 seconds, take a bit of a break during the 10 seconds. Freestyle punching moves, maybe mix in some high knees or kicks, during the 20-seconds or work, then defensive moves or boxer shuffle during the 10-seconds of break. Take about a 30-second to 1-minute break between rounds.
I will be doing a yoga video every day this week. Yoga With Adriene is my go-to source. The Yoga With Adriene YouTube Channel has hours and hours of awesome free content, like this video – Yoga for Courage.
Disc, Bike, Ruck
I will also be getting out this week to disc, bike, and ruck, all depending on the daily weather. I try to get out and do one of these three activities every day.
Wrap it up!
There you have it, my friends! Thank you so much for reading. I truly appreciate everyone who reads the posts! A special thanks to Global Cycling Network and Yoga With Adriene for the awesome free content – please check them out! Be happy and healthy my friends. Until next time, be the hero or heroine in your story!