If you missed The Food earlier in this week’s Workout of the Week, I made Corned Beef and Cabbage in my Instant Pot. Check out the recipe in The Small Town (Disc Courses) Tour Workout Post.
One of my favorite things about making corned beef and cabbage is the leftover corned beef.
Bonus! A special section of The Food – The Leftover Corned Beef and Cabbage “Sammich”!
This “sandwich” is so good, it cannot be called a “sandwich”. It’s so good, I cannot call it anything but a “Sammich”!
Leftover Corned Beef
Usually, I make Ruebens with my leftover Corned Beef.
Last night, I didn’t have any Kraut or Dressing for a Rueben, so I just did a corned beef and cab thing. It was awesome! I think tomorrow I am doing Ruebens because there is still Corned Beef to dig on. 🙂
- Three or four slices of leftover corned beef
- A few spoonfuls of leftover cabbage
- Bread – I use a rye and pumpernickel swirl. It’s perrrty and tastes great! Regular rye works just as good. Pumpernickel’s aight too but I prefer rye. You can’t go wrong either way if it’s good fresh bread though.
- About 3 or 4 tablespoons of butter.
- About 1/2 cup of cheese – I used shredded mozzarella. Swiss usually goes well. Any cheese would work, but I prefer mozza. If you’re really feeling the mozza, get some fresh mozza for an even better cheese!
- A tablespoon of Dijon mustard.
How To Make It
Step 1 – Heat up a skillet or fry pan. I am using my awesome cast iron “pizza pan”. Then melt a big glob of butter on it and spread the melted butter around so it coats the whole pan.
*In the past I have used my rectangular electric skillet. The electric skillet works great if you want to make more at a time. I have done four at once on that tool.
Step 2 – Lay out the bread, a few peices of corned beef, and some cabbage.
Step 3 – “Toast” BOTH sides of the bread. THIS STEP IS CRITICAL for the structural integrity of the sammich. (I smile every time I write “Sammich”). If you do not toast the bread on both sides this baby will be soggy and fall apart. Trust me, I know from past attempts.
Step 3 – Melt some cheese on each peice of bread. Double layers of cheese!
Step 4 – Build the sandwich. Lay down one peice of bread, spread a little dijon on it. Lay out the corned beef on top. Spoon on some cab. Top it with the last peice of bread. Then take a cool pic so you can show the world your creation! Haha!
Step 5 – Eat that baby!
Thanks for reading! Check out the Instant Pot Corned Beef Recipe.
Remember – BE THE HERO IN YOUR STORY. Heros gotta eat too, try this Sammich recipe! If you like it, leave a comment and let us know! Thanks so much and make it an awesome day!